Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Weeks 1 - 7 Reflection

These first seven weeks have been rather interesting, and quite different than I was expecting. I cam into this class thinking that we were just going to talk about environmental clean up, ways to exercise in the outdoors, and different healthy edible things that you could find in your backyard. In hindsight, that was a poor guess at what the class was going to be about but I can't say I'm to surprised with the direction it did end up taking.

My favorite thing that we learned about so far has been genetically modified crops. I always knew about how GM crops might be bad for you health wise, but never gave it much thought. What I didn't know was the terrible patten laws that control the nations agriculture and harm local farmers. I've since taking more of a stance against GM crops and plan to do further research on the topic.

The format of this class has been interesting thus far, and progress for me in it was slow at first. I've started to get a hang of things with the class and I'm learning to enjoy the blogging aspect of it. It's been nice to have weekly blogging posts to share updates and opinions on my going ons, and it's been fun having others commenting on my posts. I look forward to see what the second half of this class will bring to the table.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alex, I'm one of your new group members. I too came into this class thinking that it was going to be more along the lines of what we can do to help clean up the environment. I am actually very excited and glad the direction the class has gone. I have learned a lot and I have had my eyes opened to new issues I didn't know about. I'm excited to see what the second half the of the semester brings and I'm excited to hear more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it was very interesting learning about genetically modified crops. Information like that is something that doesn't usually cross our minds when going to the grocery store or driving through farmlands. I think it is cool we got to learn about it in this class to get a different perspective and be able to give our dollar to places that we would rather support.
    And I also agree with you about blogs, they are a cool way to keep in tune with everyone on a weekly basis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also had a different idea of how this class was going to go, but am glad it is what it is. GM crops are very scary and I didn't realize how serious of an issue it is. All of the laws that restrict farmers from growing natural food only makes it harder to get natural local food.

    ReplyDelete

comment on The Johnson